Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) is a priority for the College of Engineering as we strive for excellence in all that we do. Research is clear that diverse groups produce better outcomes, while equity means everybody is treated fairly and an environment that is intentionally inclusive will expand opportunities for everyone. The College’s five-year strategic plan outlines eight objectives to achieve a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
College of Engineering DEI Training Sessions & Events Related to Graduate Education
The College of Engineering currently offers a number of DEI training sessions and events related to graduate education on an annual and semesterly basis. This includes:
- Change It Up! Bystander Intervention training for all incoming Master’s students, doctoral students, and postdocs at the fall Graduate Student orientation.
- Cultural Intelligence (CQ) training for all Graduate Chairs, Master’s Chairs, graduate coordinators, and other staff who interact with graduate students annually.
- Mentoring Workshops for graduate students and faculty each semester.
- EnginTalks events organized by the The DEI Student Advisory Board each semester.
- Multiple CoE DEI Lecture Series events sponsored throughout the year that cover a variety of topics related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Past presentations can be viewed here.
- Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) training and Unconscious Bias workshops are offered to students, faculty, and staff members through the Center for Engineering Diversity and Outreach.
- In partnership with CRLT-Engin, the College of Engineering offers DEI workshops for faculty, students, and staff members each semester. The latest list of these workshops can be found here.
- For more information on upcoming College of Engineering DEI trainings and events, please visit our events calendar here.
Rackham Student Life also hosts a number of DEI workshops each semester. A calendar of events can be found here.
In addition, the Rackham Mentoring Others Results in Excellence (MORE) Committee hosts a number of events for graduate students. Information on these events can be found here.
Information about University-wide DEI events can be found here.